Counselling and Treatment
BounceBack is an evidence-based, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) skill-building program for adults and youth 15+ across Ontario. Through one on-one telephone coaching, workbooks, and online videos that participants can do from the comfort of their home, they learn CBT skills to help them better manage their symptoms of mild to moderate depression and anxiety.
In order to participate in the BounceBack program, clients must meet the following eligibility criteria:
1. Is capable of engaging with and concentrating on CBT materials
2. Is not actively suicidal or has tried to commit suicide in the past 6 months
3. Is not at high risk to harm self or others
4. Is not experiencing acute mania or psychosis
5. Is not diagnosed with a personality disorder
6. Is not significantly misusing drugs or alcohol to the extent that it would impact engagement in CBT treatment
7. Is 15 years or older
8. Is a resident of Ontario
Note that a referral should not be sent directly from a hospital emergency department or inpatient psychiatric unit.
BounceBack offers two kinds of support:
1. Telephone coaching using skill-building workbooks (referral required)
- The program involves three to six telephone coaching sessions.
- It is a guided, self-help program and NOT a counselling program.
- The BounceBack coach is there to help participants work through a series of workbooks at their own pace; and to help them develop new skills; keep them motivated; and monitor how they’re doing.
- Together, the participant and coach will select from among 20 workbook topics that are best suited to participant’s current needs. Some popular workbooks are: Being assertive; Changing extreme and unhelpful thinking; Overcoming sleep problems.
- Workbooks are currently available in English, French, Simple and Traditional Chinese, Arabic, and Farsi.
2. BounceBack Today online video series (no referral required)
- BounceBack Today videos offer practical tips on managing mood, sleeping better, building confidence, increasing activity, problem solving, and healthy living.
- They are available in multiple languages: English, French, Mandarin, Cantonese, Punjabi, Arabic, and Farsi.
- Participants can watch the videos online at any time at: bouncebackvideo.ca using access code bbtodayon
To access the BounceBack telephone coaching and workbooks, clients will need a referral from their family doctor, nurse practitioner, or psychiatrist. These individuals know the clients’health care needs best and can match their needs with the right support.
Clients may also self-refer, but will need to provide the contact information of their primary care provider so that they can be informed of their clients’ participation and progress in the program, as well as any risk issues that may arise during any of the telephone coaching sessions. Ultimately, primary care maintains clinical responsibility for the physical and mental well-being of their client.
In addition, other health service providers may assist clients in completing the referral form and submitting it on their behalf. Examples include: a counsellor at a college or university, a social worker or case manager who is supporting a client’s well-being. However, the client must provide their primary care provider’s contact information as they will continue as the most responsible practitioner.
Once a referral is submitted, the potential participant will be contacted by one of our team members within five business days to schedule a telephone appointment.
No referral is needed to watch the BounceBack Today online videos. They can be accessed on our website at any time.
- Program Cost: No
- Additional Cost: No
- Gender: All
- Age: 15 to 99 years of age.
- Catchment: Ontario
- Wheelchair Access: Yes
- Languages: Arabic, Bengali / Bangla, Cantonese, Chinese, English, Farsi / Persian, French, Hindi, Interpretation Services, Italian, Mandarin, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tamil, Urdu
Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) York Region Branch - Vaughan
8271 Keele Street
Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) York Region Branch
Main Hours: Monday - Thursday: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Coaches work a variety shifts across the hours of operation.
Toll Free: 866-345-0224